Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Post 11 Gordon



Carr brings up many points in the book The Shallows that I do not agree with. There are some points that to make sense to me but most I do not.  One idea that really stuck out to me as something that did not seem like a valid argument, and really did not make much sense was when he mentioned the Japanese trend of cell phone novels.  He explained that this is when authors compose on their mobile devices and upload strings of text messages online. The stories became wildly popular – according to Carr’s research.  This does not seem to be a legitimate point for Carr’s argument that the value of the published word is digressing.  In addition this is a fad in another country. I personally do not see it coming to the US and I don’t think that it can even be compared to literature.  If anything it is just an Internet fad, it is not going to change the way we read as a society.

            One idea I do agree with that Carr mentions is that Google is trying to digitize all books ever printed” and make the contents easily searchable.  I have noticed this happening in my own life.  E-books and e-textbooks are becoming much more popular. In addition the use of nooks and kindles.  I think this is positive for the future.  It is combining literature and technology.  Yet in a way that the technology is not infringing on the quality of the writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment