Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Post 11 - Davis
Having finished reading Nicholas Carr's The Shallows, I can safely say that while I did find several of his arguments interesting, I completely disagree with the book's central thesis. My final impression of Carr was that of an aging man struggling to adapt in a technologically driven, perpetually advancing world.While I can understand how someone of Carr's demographic may claim that deep, engaged thought may struggle to exist in symbiosis with the internet due to its gratuitously informatic nature, his implication that it cannot possibly exist is made with such an excessive sense of pretension that I found it rather difficult to engage in any form of deep thought with this book; which is, in a way, Carr's own incarnation of the very medium he so zealously defends. I see no way in which this proposed "ADD" effect is to blame on the internet as a medium, it seems more likely to be the result of simple user-error. If properly motivated, I believe that any person bearing an ordinary sense of self-discipline would find the internet to a superior resource of information than printed text in just about every way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment