Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Post 9 Martin

There wasn't much about The Shallows that I agreed with but I do understand his argument when Carr says that the internet is limiting the human brain. Having so much information so readily available to us makes it so that we don't remember as much as we used to. We are able to look at our phones or laptops to find any information that we need instead of having to remember it. On page 31, Carr states "we have learned that neuroplasticity is not only possible but constantly in action. This means that our brain is always changing and never at rest. Carr argues that this is in fact a bad thing because it is teaching us to be lazy and dependent. I think Carr has a point because people never remember information if they are able to store it on their phone. I didn't agree with much of what Nicholas Carr wrote because I felt that he was lecturing me about the issue and I started to get annoyed with his writing style. However, this is one issue that I can agree on. Technology is definitely changing human lives and the question is whether or not it is changing our lives in a good or bad way. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment