Saturday, May 10, 2014

post 11 stukel


            Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Shallows. I thought that it had some interesting arguments and viewpoints that I had not considered. The idea that new technologies, such as the Internet, could be changing the way that we interact with the world is a concept that had never occurred to me before. I think that in a number of ways this has proven to be true. In the book, Carr discusses how the Internet has changed the way we take in information. He describes, the difference of how we previously immersed ourselves in information, like a scuba diver searching an ocean, compared with how we now mostly skim over information like a person on a jet ski. This is because when we used to read a lot of books we would often have to think more deeply about the information presented, while now we just take it at face value instead of examining it more closely. I also thought the way he described that internet use, or any type of habit, can actually change the way our brain is physically shaped, was interesting. The way he described this using the monkey experiment was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment